Eastwood is one of Houston's first master-planned subdivisions. It was designed and developed in 1913 by William A. Wilson, who also developed Eastwood's sister neighborhood, Woodland Heights. The first residents were young entrepreneurs in the city: business owners and management. The first lots went on sale in June 1912 and Eastwood was officially opened in September 1913. The development was planned with paved streets, cement curbs and sidewalks, city water, gas, electricity, telephones and sanitary sewerage as well as terraced lots designed for natural drainage and planned placement of trees.
The homes built in Eastwood were custom homes reflecting the early 20th century fondness for Craftsman, Arts & Crafts, Foursquare and Mission architecture. Today, Eastwood has one of Houston's largest intact collections of these architectural styles.